NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

January 16, 2010

Lego Cake

So I made a few square cakes and cut these shapes out of it.  I measured them out so they should look the same as the Lego's they are supposed to represent.  But a bit taller, since taller cakes look better.  I prefer covering my cakes with ganache if I'm going to cover them in fondant, since once it dries I can get it so smooth and don't have to worry about it squeezing out the bottom when I put the fondant on.  It doesn't leave much icing, but my chocolate cake is super moist so I think it's okay.  Maybe next time I'll let it dry and do a second ganache layer to try to get it thicker.  Or maybe even try doing a thin buttercream layer before the ganache layer...  But I like the crisp edges with the ganache versus the soft pillowy effect when there is buttercream squished out all over the place. 
lego birthday cake gnache frosting carved
Anyway, then I covered it with Fondant.  See how sharp the corners and edges are?  You can't get that with buttercream.  Lovely.  It looks a bit cloudy because of the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture I use when smoothing the sides.  It won't be there soon.  I wanted to do a blue one too, but couldn't find it this time.  I love the green though.  It's my first time working with it. 
lego birthday cake fondant covered
Also for this cake one of the boys attending is allergic to eggs, so I made my first egg-less cake.  After reading about different options online I found this post and decided to try it(using my normal recipe, with the tofu as a substituted for eggs).  Using 1/4 C tofu in place of each egg.  It worked great!  The taste wasn't exactally the same, and certianly not a permanent change but it was surprisinly good, still better than anything in a box!  And the guest with the allergies loved that he was actually able to partake of the party goodies!

And the final cake.  I decided not to put the Lego logo on the top of every dot because it's just so cute this way I didn't want to risk messing it up with my horrid handwriting skills.  I used the same steaming technique I used on this cake to get the shiny look.  I loved it, and luckily so did my son and his friends.  So there you have it, a Lego cake, the only question now is if my other son want's a Lego party too what will I do for his cake???
lego bricks birthday cake fondant covered built