NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

January 16, 2010

Lego Birthday party treats

It's my son's birthday party tomorrow and the theme is Lego's.  So for some of the treats I made this cool Lego Mold out of food grade silicone.  I talk about how here on my Craft blog (along with lots of other stuff from the party).  Anyway I made three different candies using the mold.  This one was the least successful, the candy melts.  They broke and cracked when I tried to take them out.  I think if maybe I un-molded them sooner...  I'm not a fan of candy melts, don't like the flavor, so I don't work with them enough to know how to fix the problem.  Anyway, you can see the base plate in the back of the picture, I cover the mold with that to give the bottom of the candies the Lego indent so they are stack-able. 
candy melts lego mold
I only made one batch because they didn't come out well, but they were the biggest hit among the kids so I should have made more anyway!  Maybe a different brand of melts would work better.  I'm not really a fan of Wilton melts, fondant or gumpaste. 
homemade lego candy melts mold birthday party
These were the most fun.  Gummies!  I wish the flavor was stronger, but they stack great, don't stick together, and are easy to make.  I used this recipe, but next time I think I'll try using more jello and maybe throw in some citric acid for punch.

Gummies
1 3oz pkg Jell-O any flavor
6 packages unflavored gelatin
3/4 C water
Mix in a sauce pan and heat over medium until the gelatin is dissolved.  Then pour into the mold.  Place it in the freezer for 15 mins then pull out and unmold!
homemade lego gummies birthday party mold
And finally I wanted to make suckers, but the molds were so small that the sticks wouldn't stay in them.  But they were a huge hit.  I just left them as hard candies instead.  Because of the heat of the sugar I couldn't put the base plate on, so they aren't stack-able, and it cooled so fast it was hard to smooth out across the molds, or get the air bubbles out.  So they looked the worst, but they tasted great, and that's really all little boys care about anyway!

Suckers
1 C sugar
1/2 C water
1/3 C corn syrup
1/4 tsp candy flavoring
candy food coloring
Combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook to hard crack (300°F.). Check your thermometer first to see if it is accurate with water boiling, as this burns easily after 300°F.
Remove from heat. Add flavoring and food coloring. Stir and pour into greased sucker molds arranged on a greased cookie sheet or a marble slab.

After I un-molded them I sprayed them down with some Pam so they wouldn't stick together.  Everyone loved these too.  They were a huge hit at the party and I think my other son want's a Lego party too so I'll get to use all of this again. 
homemade hard candy suckers lego mold birthday party