NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

January 21, 2010

My dad's Chocolate Chip cookies!

My parents aren't really into cooking and baking like I am (Don't get me wrong, I grew up with great food, they just don't love it the way I do.).  But there was this one really special thing I grew up with.  My dad's Chocolate chip cookies.  My mom loves good cookies, and so my dad set out to make a great cookie.  I was very young when the final cookie made it's debut so I don't remember the trial and errors, but I remember the final recipe!  My mom doesn't even eat the cookies anymore, just straight dough.  Since my folks are empty nesters my dad doesn't make the cookies anymore (what's the point of having a whole batch for just 1 person (he doesn't eat them!).  So when my mom comes to visit I always make a batch special just for her.
chocolate chip cookie dough best ground oatmeal
Today my mom flew into town for the afternoon on her way to visit my sister (who just had a baby a few months ago).  SO I had to make a batch of cookie dough for her.  I also baked some of it for my kiddo's.  So here is the recipe for my favorite Cookie EVER!

G'pa Dave's Chocolate chip cookies
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 cubes butter (1 C)
2 eggs
2-3 tsp vanilla
2 C+ ground oatmeal (NOT quick oats)
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz Chocolate chips (my mom likes Milk and I like semi sweet)
macadamia nuts (optional)
Mix the sugars together, beat in the butter, until smooth and then the eggs one at a time then add the vanilla.  In a separate bowl mix the oats, flour, soda, powder and salt. Add the oat mixture to the butter mixture.  Then add the chocolate chips and nuts.  Bake at 360 for 8-12 mins (depending on how raw or cooked you like your cookies, my mom likes her dough warm, but not cooked!  I like mine when the top JUST starts to turn golden).

It takes about 3 cups of oats to make 2 cups ground oats.  I like to make a double batch of dough but only half of the chocolate.  I like my cookies warm and fresh, so I only cook what I want to eat.  The rest I make into dough balls and freeze.  Then when I want fresh cookies I pull out a pan, put the frozen ball's in the oven while it preheats and add 2 minutes to the normal cooking time.

For variety sometimes I add cocoa and use peanut butter chips, or add coconut, but while these are sometimes nice changes my favorite will always be the original.
chocolate chip cookies best ground oatmeal