NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

May 12, 2009

Homemade pasta

So today my friends and I made homemade pasta. I did a trial run last week, and rolled it out by hand. I didn't get it quite thin enough, but the taste was amazing. Here is the recipe:
Basic Pasta
Makes 2 lbs
3 1/2 C flour
5 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
Pour flour onto the counter and create a well in the center, add the rest of the ingredients into the well. Beat the eggs lightly with a fork, drawing in some of the flour as you go, until the eggs are mixed and slightly thickened. Using your hands gradually incorporate the flour into the eggs, blending everything into a smooth, not too stiff, dough. If it's crumbly add water as needed. Knead the dough until satiny and elastic, about 10 mins. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and wrap in plastic. Let it rest for 30 mins.
Then roll it out, it can be done by hand, but by far the easiest way (and thinnest) is to use a pasta roller. One of my friends had one and after doing one ball by hand we all decided to use her roller. In fact the other friend and I bought our own that very day. Set the machine to the widest setting, and pass the dough through three times, folding it over onto itself each time. The dough will go from lumpy to smooth. Then set the rollers one notch closer together and repeat rolling. Stretch the dough gently as it emerges from the rollers. Then lay out the strips to dry a bit (but only until a bit leathery, don't over dry)
Last week, when I did my trial run, I used my broom handle for drying, it worked, but wasn't as efficient. So I bought this drying tree. We made three different pastas, fettuccine:
Bow ties:
and cheese ravioli (this picture shows the wheat pasta one of the girls made, substitute 1-1 1/2 C whole wheat flour). The filling recipe is this:
Cheese filling (also what I use for my manicotti)
15 oz ricotta
2 C mozzarella shredded
1/2 C Parmesan grated
2 Tbsp chopped herb (parsley, oregano, basil...) your choice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)