NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

May 20, 2009

Torillas

This week my girlfriend wanted to learn how to make Tortillas. I started making my own tortillas 5 years ago, but I haven't done it in a while. Come to think of it it's been 2 years or maybe even more. Anyway, since Flour tortillas is easy (just time consuming) we decided to also try corn tortillas too. non of us had made them before, we just used the recipe on the package (which I didn't write down so I can't give it to you)
Both recipes call for mixing up the dough, letting it sit, creating balls and then rolling them out and cooking them on the stove top (or I used a skillet to do more at one time).
Flour Tortillas
6-8 tortillas
2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp shortening
3/4 C hot water
Place the baking powder, salt and shortening in bowl. Cut shortening until it is in very small crumbs. Then add a small amount of hot water and mix until dough is a soft spongy ball. Knead 5 mins and let rest, then knead again. Do this about 3 times. Form into 6-8 balls, and roll out. Place on hot dry skillet and cook for about 1 min on each side.
And done! I rolled mine out nice and thin, they were just like the stores, but once I finished I remembered that I liked them thicker... Oh well. Next time. They worked great for quesadillas for the kids.
As for the corn ones. The only thing I make with corn tortillas is my grandma stacked enchilada's. So a few days later I made them. These were too tough for me and not any better than the store bought, so for now I won't bother again. But if someone out there has some advice, I'm willing to try again!