NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

October 16, 2007

Chocolate Week day 2

I've always loved a good scone. The crunch, outside, soft inside... And my favorite has always been the Chocolate chip scone. So in honor of Chocolate week I decided to go for it. The recipe was easy, and they didn't take long to cook. And I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow (most likely with some Chilled Hot Chocolate)! I doubled the batch without difficulties, and used chopped up Hershey's Special Dark instead of Chips!
Chocolate Chunk Scone
8 large or 12 small

2 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbs cold chopped butter
1/2 C chopped chocolate
1 Lrg egg
1/2 C heavy cream
extra cream and sugar for topping

Whisk flour, sugar, powder and salt. Use a pastry blender (or 2 knives) to cut in the butter. The largest piece should be the size of a pea and the rest like breadcrumbs. Stir in the Chopped Chocolate. Mix the egg and cream add to the flour mixture and mix until moist. Then knead the dough in the bowl 5-10 times, this should clean up the sides. Transfer the blog to a slightly floured surface and pat out to an 8 inch circle about 3/4 inches tall. Then cut into 8 or 12 pieces (I used a pizza cutter) and transfer to baking sheet. Brush top with extra cream and sprinkle on extra sugar. Cook at 425 for 12-15 mins.

I took mine out at 12 mins and they were perfect! I'm going to bed now, and already dreaming of breakfast (not only because it will be delicious, but I won't have to cook!)