NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

September 15, 2007

My favorite dessert of the Summer

So a few months ago my mom told me about this new Lemon Sour Cream Pie recipe she got. She and my sister both raved about it so I got the recipe. But I did nothing with it. Oh I meant to make it, with a new baby, moving etc... It just never got made. But this summer my husband went to another country for the summer for work and while taking care of 4 kids certainly kept me busy I also ended up baking, A LOT. That's what I do, when I'm sad or miss him, or even upset. I bake. Lucky for me he usually eats it all. I ate more than I should have this summer... ANYWAY one week in particular was distressful and I ended up baking about 6 things in 3 days and one of those days I made this pie (also lucky for me my kids enjoy baking, so they "helped" and we really had fun those days). And let me tell you if you like lemons or a good sour treat this is FANTASTIC! I DID let the kids have some, they helped after all, but I didn't share much, I ate the whole thing in a week! It became my summer favorite. I've made 4 of these pies in the last 6 weeks! Anyway... If you ever take the time it's worth it.

Sour Cream Lemon Pie
Cooked 9 inch pie crust
1 C sugar
3 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon rind grated
½ C fresh lemon juice
3 egg yolks slightly beaten
1 C milk
¼ C butter
1 C sour cream
Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, juice, egg yolks and milk in sauce pan, and cook over med heat until thick. Stir in the butter (I use frozen butter to help it cool) and cool to room temp. Stir in the Sour cream and Pour into pie shell. Refrigerate and serve with Whipped cream. (I usually have my first slice after about 4 hours, but it is definitely more set and better the next day)