NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

September 23, 2007

Strawberry Coulis

So the final item on our September Challenge for the month was a fruit Coulis (or dessert sauce). I put this off for a few reasons. I kept forgetting to get fresh fruit, or when I did remember it wasn't fresh. And also because I don't really like fruit. I like the chocolate cakes by themselves and would make the cake, forget the coulis and by the time I remembered the cake was gone! BUT tonight was different. I was determined to make the coulis, and not wait until the last day of the month either. So I made another batch of the Chocolate Nemesis (my 4th this month) and made little cakes to take around the neighbors that had brought us goodies when we first moved in. And I thought, perfect, I'll make some Coulis to go along with the give aways so I don't have 2 Cups of Coulis to eat myself! Of course I knew my Husband (fruit lover) would finish it off for me, and I DO need to be less selfish and make more stuff just for him. Anyway, Here is the recipe...

Coulis
makes 2 Cups


12 oz raspberries (I used Strawberries, chopped, and my friend at My ABC's used blueberries)
1/4 tsp orange zest
1/2 C water
1/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C sugar



In a medium-sized sauce pot over medium heat, combine the berries, orange zest, water, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook for an additional 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree with a blender or handheld mixer. Strain into desired small bowl.
And the results? Magnificent! I loved it. The tang/sour from the lemon juice mixed with the fruit was the perfect combination and compliment for the chocolate cake! In fact it was so good I "licked" my plate clean! Now I'm glad I have leftovers, and will be making it again when it runs out. I think it will be good on my Best Ever Chocolate Ice Cream. And of course my Husband loved it!