NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

October 20, 2007

Chocolate week day 6

So we took off this morning after breakfast and spent the day at the TX Renaissance festival. So this is the ONLY chocolate I had today... My Coconut pancakes with Chocolate chips. For breakfast I just make the coconut ones, but after everyone has had enough I put mini chocolate chips in the rest of the batch. They then make great snacks for outings (such as the Renaissance fair) Which is how a family of 6 (although the baby didn't have any) eats 30 pancakes in one day!

Coconut Pancakes
makes about 12-15 depending on size

1 ½ C flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1/3-1/2 C Coconut
1 ½ C milk
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 Lrg eggs
½ tsp vanilla

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, then add coconut and mix. In a separate bowl mix milk, melted butter (cooled), eggs and vanilla. Pour the wet over the dry, mix just until combined, should be lumpy. Cook over med- med/high heat, flip when you see bubbles popping in the center. You can either add 1/3-1/2 C Mini Chocolate chips at the beginning, or add less near the end.

The biggest thing is try not to over mix, otherwise you get flat pancakes. And the truth is a little mini chocolate chips go a long way. I always at LEAST double the recipe, often quadrupling it (company) and I make about half with just coconut, and the rest with the chocolate. They stay good in the fridge for a week, although they aren't known to last more than 2 days around here. And could stay good in the freezer for at least a month if wrapped and sealed in plastic properly. I'll either eat them cold (thus the chocolate for sweetness) or toast them for a nice warm crunch. These pancakes have even been successful with family members who claim to dislike pancakes! Of course my homemade syrup helps... I recently read a recipe for chocolate french toast with chocolate maple syrup! I'm thinking about trying it, I'll let you know..... Off to bed, we just got home, I posted and it's late! Tomorrow is the last day of Chocolate week, so I'll have to think of something good!