NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

September 08, 2007

The Ultimate Flourless chocolate cake

So this weekend my friend Duff ABC's and I continued our September Challenge of Flourless Chocolate cake. I STILL don't have rasberries (I forgot my list when I went to the grocery store and had to go off memory, Rasberries weren't the only thing I forgot) so I havn't made the Coulis yet. But I sure wish I had, this cake needed something sweet. both recipies call for bitter sweet chocolate. I didn't have any bittersweet baking chocolate around last weekend so I created my own chocolate medly. 1/3 unsweetened bakers chocolate, 1/3 Hersheys special dark bars and 1/3 Nestle's semi sweet chips. My friend at Duff ABC's said that her cake turned out a little sweet last week, while I felt mine was perfection. So I was going to try to use the same chocolate bar's she did this time around to try to figure out if it was just that the chocolate she used was sweeter, but then thought better. What better comparison of the recipes than using the same mixture as last time. So I again did 1/3 of each time of chocolate. And even though the recipes and baking styles are similar, the results couldn't have been more different.
The Ultimate Flourless Chocolate Cake
serves 12 to 16



8 Lrg eggs, cold
1 lbs bittersweet chocolate
1/2 lbs unsalted butter

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line bottom of 8-inch springform pan with parchment and grease pan sides. Cover pan underneath and along sides with sheet of heavy-duty foil and set in large roasting pan. Bring kettle of water to boil.
2. Beat eggs with hand-held mixer at high speed until volume doubles to approximately 1 quart, about 5 minutes. Alternately, beat in bowl of electric mixer fitted with wire whip attachment at medium speed (speed 6 on a KitchenAid) to achieve same result, about 5 minutes.


3. Meanwhile, melt chocolate and butter (adding coffee or liqueur, if using) in large heat-proof bowl set over pan of almost simmering water, until smooth and very warm (about 115 degrees on an instant-read thermometer), stirring once or twice. (For the microwave, melt chocolate and butter together at 50 percent power until smooth and warm, 4 to 6 minutes, stirring once or twice.) Fold 1/3 of egg foam into chocolate mixture using large rubber spatula until only a few streaks of egg are visible; fold in half of remaining foam, then last of remaining foam, until mixture is totally homogenous.

4. Scrape batter into prepared springform pan and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Set roasting pan on oven rack and pour enough boiling water to come about halfway up side of springform pan. Bake until cake has risen slightly, edges are just beginning to set, a thin glazed crust (like a brownie) has formed on surface, and an instant read thermometer inserted halfway through center of cake registers 140 degrees, 22 to 25 minutes. Remove cake pan from water bath and set on wire rack; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight to mellow (can be covered and refrigerated for up to 4 days).
5. About 30 minutes before serving, remove springform pan sides, invert cake on sheet of waxed paper, peel off parchment pan liner, and turn cake right side up on serving platter. Sieve light sprinkling of Confectioners¢ sugar or unsweetened cocoa powder over cake to decorate, if desired.

Okay, honestly I did make a mistake. As you can see I let my temperature get too hot before I pulled the cake out. I let the temperature get a little too high, as you can see from the picture mine got to about 170 when I pulled it out, instead of 140. Which resulted in the outside edge and top being rubbery and tasteless. Also I made the mistake of eating a slice the night I made this. The center hadn't set yet, so it was goopy and tasteless. After letting it set overnight the texture (of the center) is alot like a truffle, thick really thick, but the flavor didn't improve. Way to Cocoa-y. Maybe if I had only used the chocolate bars instead of the baker unsweetened chocolate the flavor would have been better. It was like eating straight cocoa, bitter. It at least needed some salt and either sweeter chocolate, or some sugar. I would be willing to try this recipe again, but even with a better flavor and not over cooking the edge I don't think it could surpass the Chocolate Nemisis. It was very simple, and quick, but I was unimpressed with the results. And I'm more into imidiate satisfaction, the Chocolate Nemisis was good from the first bite to the last, where this one had the overnight waiting time, and still wasn't perfect. In fact when I went to get another slice today (so I could report on if it was better- my first draft was full of really bad things, but then it set overnight and slightly redeemed itself) I didn't want to eat it! Not want to each Chocolate!!! Always a bad sign. And although it was suprisingly better than last night it, honestly, couldn't have been worse, and still wasn't great. THAT SAID. I promise to try it one more time to be fair, and I will let you know.