NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

September 05, 2007

Trifle

So I baked a cake last week. Actually my 2 year old got into the pantry and opened a cake mix. So I decided to make cupcakes to celebrate my oldest first day of 1st Grade, she loves any excuse to celebrate. But I didn't want to be responsible for eating an entire batch of cupcakes, I prefer all the other goodies I have around the house. So I baked a 6 inch round cake and made 12 cupcakes, perfect~ I thought I'd use the 6 inch cake to celebrate my Husbands return from India (again, my oldest felt we needed to have a coming home party). So I put the cake in the freezer and we enjoyed the cupcakes. Then on Saturday morning I got out the cake to thaw so we could decorate it that afternoon. After Nap/Quite time I went into the kitchen and looked around for the cake... It was missing! I asked the kids about it and low the 4 1/2 year old RAN to his room. Being a keen mother I caught onto the fact that he was hiding something and went upstairs after him! He had unwrapped the cake and was eating it like a huge muffin. The entire top half was gone, and all that was left was bite marks! So there went the coming home cake idea! So today I cut off the bite marks, made up some marshmallow frosting and made my first Trifle. I've always been interested in these desserts, and since it seems that anything goes I went for it! I used the cake, the marshmallow frosting, toffee bits, and threw in a couple of chocolate chips for the fun of it. So now we have a coming home Trifle for the "party".
Here is the frosting recipe, easy and delicious and great of cakes, cupcakes, frosting and Graham crackers!

Marshmallow Frosting
2 Lrg egg whites
¼ C plus 2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
Put eggs whites, sugar and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler over boiling water and beat with a hand mixer until soft peaks form- about 4 mins. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl, add vanilla and beat with electric mixer with whisk attachment on Med high till soft peaks form- about 30 sec.