NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

January 26, 2010

This week for dinner- Gyoza's

So I decided to start a new weekly post. "This week for dinner", what do you think?  I think I'll also start a weekly treat/dessert of some kind.  We'll see if I can keep it up with my new goals, 4 kids, etc...  We live with my in laws this year and my sweet mother in law cooks on Monday and Wednesdays and then there is always at least one left over night so I only get to make dinner 3 or 4 nights a week.  So that cut's down the recipes I can post.  There are repeats often simply because I have some picky children.  Anyway...  Tonight!

Gyoza.  I fell in LOVE with these when we were living in Japan.  They are a bit time consuming simply because of the filling and folding and stuff.  But they are SO worth it.  I'd like to actually get a couple of other filling recipes, anyone have anything other than pork?  These are classic and a great recipe!
homemade gyoza pork
So above is uncooked, I use premade gyoza wrappers.  There is probably a way to make them, but I don't know what it is.  But they are cheap and easy to use so I'm at the "why bother" stage with that.

Gyoza
4 leaves of cabbage
½ bunch Chinese chives (or green onions)
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp potato starch
5 ½ oz ground pork
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp water
20 round Gyoza wrappers
Oil
Boil cabbage and let cool, then chop fine. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Cut chives and garlic, combine with cabbage, mix in potato starch. Combine pork, soy sauce, sesame oil and water. Add cabbage mixture. Place a tsp of filling in the center of each wrapper. Moisten half way around the edge of wrapper, fold over edge to make half moon shape.

Heat pan, add oil and lower temp. Add Gyoza, cook until bottom golden brown
gyoza pork cabbage cooking
Add hot water to pan to half submerge the Gyoza, cover the pan. Turn heat to high and steam until most water evaporates.
cooking gyoza pork steaming
Remove lid, lower heat and cook until the pan is dry.
finishing gyoza pork cooked


Dipping sauce
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
a few drops hot chili oil

To make the presentation pretty flip them over when you serve them so the pretty cooked bottom shows!  I like to use chopsticks of course, but feel free to do your best with anything else!
gyoza finished dipping sauce serving