NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

December 04, 2009

Christmas cookies

christmas cookies snowman candycane bell tree sugar cookies
I got an order for 8 dozen Christmas cookies on Monday. I have a family sugar cookie recipe that is just wonderful. I love it. Anyway I made the cookies Wednesday night, and last night frosted them and delivered them this morning. The cookies turned out great. But I had MAJOR issues with the icing. It just wouldn't stay consistent. I like to outline with a thicker icing tip 3, then once it dries fill in with a thinner icing. It just looks so nice. But this time the thicker icing was too thick then too runny and after awhile it started to separate. I don't know if my recipe needs tweaking or if it's something else. It's the same recipe I've used for the last 20+ years, and my mom and grandmother before that! I think I did something wrong. Maybe added too much milk when it was too thick, then couldn't get the balance right after that. It's a lesson in only adding a tsp at a time when thinning icing!  Either way I wasn't as happy with these results as last years. Oh well. Doing 8 dozen in one night I didn't have alot of time so I just got it done. Here is the recipe if your interested!

Sugar Cookies
3 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C Butter and margarine
1 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C thick sour cream
Sift flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and powder. In separate bowl cream butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, sour cream. Mix in dry ingredients. Chill in fridge for 3-4 hours roll out to 1/4 inch cut into shapes. Cook at 350 for 15 mins.

Frosting
4 1/2 C powder sugar
1/4 C milk
1/3 C butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
Food coloring (optional)
Mix butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and peppermint add more milk if needed.