NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

April 03, 2008

Beehive cake

Tonight we celebrated a birthday party for the Women's Organization in our church. It's one of the oldest and largest women's organization in the world. It's over 165 years old! Anyway, a month or so ago they called and asked me to make a themed "birthday" cake as the main dessert. Of course in the end we had WAY too much food and desserts, we always do. So there is a lot of cake left over. But it was really fun to make it and I got a new pan out of it. You can't see it very well, but I marbelized the fondant and it created a really cool effect. I wish it came across better. Oh well. I need a better camera and flash, maybe a few lenses, Oh, and photography classes...

I got the wondermold pan (those barbie cake with the doll sticking out the top and the cake being the skirt) and put it on top of an 8 inch by 3 inch round pan to give it the height and sides. I covered it with my new marshmallow fondant and added these fondant bee's. When I got there to set up I noticed a few bee's were missing... My children... Luckily I made plenty. The cake was a hit, and it tasted great too. Chocolate, chocolate and chocolate! MMMMMmmmmm. I changed my chocolate buttercream recipe a bit, I've just discovered Dutch cocoa (thanks Malina) and it is just INCREDIBLE!!!! Anyway, I have 3 more cakes on the book this month. So look for a weekly post!