NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

January 23, 2008

Madeline's

So for this Month's Chocolate Therapy challenge My friend over at Duff ABC's picked Madeline's. Of course had to make CHOCOLATE Madelaine's, but I made both. I have to say I've never eaten Madeline's and now I know why. They taste great, but when I'm going to make something these would be pretty low on my list. I liked them, but they just didn't stand out, they are cake-y cookies, and I'd rather have a cake, or cookies. I'll try them again, but these won't be common cookies for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If I'm going to eat a dessert I want it to be sensational. These just weren't worth the calories for me, I'd rather enjoy a rich chocolate cheesecake, or Ice Cream, or, Brownies, or... You get the idea. BUT that said they had a great flavor and if your into slightly sweet, light desserts these are probably for you. A bit of a crunch the first day, but simply soft after that.

Madeline's
makes 2-3 dozen regular size
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (6 ounces)
3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
a pinch fine-grain sea salt
2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt the 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a small pot over medium heat until it's brown and gives off a deliciously nutty aroma, roughly 20 minutes. Strain (using a paper towel over a mesh strainer) - you want to leave the solids behind. Cool the butter to room temperature.
Put the eggs with the salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Whip on high speed until thick - you are looking for the eggs to roughly double or triple in volume - approximately 3 minutes. Continuing to mix on high speed, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream. Whip for 2 minutes or until mixture is thick and ribbony.
Sprinkle the flour on top of the egg batter, and gently fold in. Now fold in the butter mixture. Only stirring enough to bring everything together.
Spoon the batter into the molds, bake the Madelaine's for 12 - 14 minutes (7-10 minutes for smaller cookies), or until the edges of the Madelaine's are golden brown. Remove from oven and un-mold immediately.
Chocolate version
pour strained cooked butter over 6 oz broken up bittersweet chocolate, stir until smooth

I do have to say I LOVE my Madeline pan, and I've been trying to think of another cookie I could put in it. The shape is cute, and the pan is amazing! I used baking spray on the first batch, but didn't need to my Wilton non-stick pan worked! It was incredible.
The flavor of the cooked butter was a nice twist, and delicious. AND very easy and quick, but with a fancy end result. Maybe it's a good recipe to keep around for it's looks alone, an easy way to look impressive... If your into people thinking your amazing...
I think the fact was that it wasn't hearty/filling enough for me I want my cookies to be cookies, not bite size cake with no frosting... Maybe if I dipped them in chocolate, Mmmmmm... Now that could work, like mini cakes, with my thick chocolate fudge frosting on one side... Of course what isn't made better my dipping it in chocolate?
And a quick word of caution, MAKE SURE you use the paper towel and strainer for the cooked butter, look what was left in the pan after 20 mins of cooking?