This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

August 18, 2007

18 cups of frosting.

So today I finished the latest wedding cake. I was really please, it turned out well. Again, going with the brides design choices here. I'm not really a yellow fan... ANYWAY, here is more of the process. When I got up today first I cut off the tops of all the layers to make them flat, and make sure they were all the same size. Then I decided to change it a bit and make each layer a different height. Since I knew the cake was big enough they were going to have leftovers I knew I could cut a bit here and there. So then I filled each layer with our vanilla cream cheese mousse (MMMMMmmmmm!!!!) and frosted them smooth. But not "ironing" smooth, I left it with a rough buttercream finish, rather than the super smooth since it was a more casual open house reception. Then I measured cut and put the dowels in. After that I stacked the layers and pushed the longest dowel through all 3 layers to keep them from sliding around. Usually I do this AT the reception center, but this one was at the brides parents house and without a babysitter I risked putting it together at home and transporting. Over all I think I chose the right risk.

I stopped to nurse the baby at one point and came back in to find an entire side scraped by little fingers. I wish I had remembered to get a shot of that, but I was able to fix it. Overall I expected something a bit worse...