NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

July 11, 2007

Sweet 16

October 06,

Again, another favorite cake. I got to do a lot of fun ones in a row this year. This was a "wonky" or "crazy" cake. *trick alert* to create the "wonky" look I made extra tall cake layers (3 inches each, instead of the usual 2) and then froze each layer, then I "carved them" while frozen and then let them thaw before frosting. My husband and kids loved the extra cake chunks. I made this one for my cousins sweet 16! It was so much fun to design and decorate for her. I learned a lot from this cake (of course, each one is still such a learning experience). I put too much frosting under the fondant, and it kind of ruined the shape a bit. But I was really pleased with how it turned out, and of course the birthday girl loved it, and that made it even better! Of course we forgot the candles! I hadn't done a birthday cake in so long that that it hadn't once entered my brain to bring candles!