NEW BLOG!

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

December 11, 2007

Caramel Dark Chocolate Truffle

So this was my second recipe for the month. I made it about 2 mins after I finished the first batch. This one was a bit more involved, but still super easy. And who doesn't like Caramel and Chocolate? I bought some Fleur De Sel last week for a Caramel cheesecake I'm hoping to try soon, so I had everything on hand.

Caramel Dark Chocolate
makes about 30

8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon Fleur De Sel
Melt chocolate in double boiler, stir until chocolate is smooth. Remove chocolate from over water.
Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil until syrup is deep amber color, swirling pan occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add cream (mixture will bubble). Stir over very low heat until caramel is smooth. Mix caramel and 1/4 teaspoon Fleur De Sel into melted chocolate. Chill until truffle filling is firm, at least 3 hours.
Using 1 tablespoon truffle filling for each truffle, roll into balls, then roll in cocoa. Chill overnight.
Optional: Line 13x9x2-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 12 ounces chocolate in Double Boiler. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water. Working quickly, submerge 1 truffle in melted chocolate. Using fork, lift out truffle and tap fork against side of bowl to allow excess coating to drip off. Transfer truffle to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining truffles. Sprinkle truffles lightly with additional Fleur De Sel. Let stand until coating sets, at least 1 hour. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a stronger Caramel taste, in fact I don't think there was one at ALL. Knowing that Caramel went INTO the truffle I really tried to taste it, but to no avail. And no one else who tried it could taste it either. And these truffles were much softer/squishier than the other batch. So I'm wondering if I should have left it on low for longer, hoping that it the Caramel mixture would thicken up a bit and become more flavorful. I'm willing to try again at the hopes that it will. Also I didn't bother with the last/optional step. I didn't want the two truffles to get confused so I rolled these in Christmas colored extra large sprinkles. I have to say I LOVED the crunch. In hindsight the crunch would have been better with the other truffles and the cocoa would have been better with these. Next time... Also as an aside. I won't bother with melting the chocolate, I'll chop the chocolate up more and use the "rest for 5 mins" trick that the last recipe used.